Regrettably, I am not the best spinach eater. The health benefits of this one vegetable is massive! We should all be eating at least one cup of leafy greens a day. I saw a great recipe in Runner’s World this month; instead of eating your regular sandwich, try a multi-grain tortilla with spinach, turkey, tomatoes, and pesto. Mmmm… sounds good to me! Spinach needs to be eaten on the sly in my family…sneak it into turkey meatballs, lasagna, or frittata’s and I’m happy.
Healthful Benefits of Spinach:
- There may be 13 different flavonoid compounds found in spinach that act as anti-oxidants as well as anti-cancer fighting components.
- 1 cup of leafy greens can provide 200% Vitamin K
- Spinach makes you stronger!
- Slows loss of mental function!
- Provides much needed Iron particularly for women who are Iron deficient.
- Carotenoids found in spinach help fight prostate cancer.
- May combat Ovarian Cancer
- Please reference the World’s Healthiest Foods for more information on spinach.
- Here are a few of my favorite spinach recipes!
- At Home with Michael Chiarello: Easy Entertaining
- Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Pastina
- Penne with Spinach Sauce
Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
Readers, I would love some suggestions for salad and dressing recipes.